Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My new ride...

After a lot of tears, heartache, and stress over my RAV4, I finally was able to get my new car yesterday--a 2009 Toyota Corolla. This certainly isn't what I had in mind when I thought about selling my RAV4 back in March and cashing in on the equity that was in it. (Instead I ended up spending about $6,000 in repairs and it was still having problems.) Even though it's not how I thought it would turn out, I am glad to finally have a car, and have it be one that I can rely on. Thanks so much to my dad for getting me through these last couple of weeks, and to my uncle Chuck for helping me get the car! The Corolla is a beauty. Now I need to name him (yes, it is a boy). I'm open for suggestions.

I feel like I need to mention that I loved my RAV4. He was a great car and I loved driving him. He didn’t do anything wrong, just a lot of bad luck happened over the last month. The night before I got my new Corolla, I had a dream that my RAV4 was feeling abandoned and hurt, and I woke up feeling extremely sad. I don’t know why I turn cars into animate objects. It must be some disorder I have. (When I had to leave my first car, the Toyota Corona, in Tennessee, I cried for 6 hours because I felt like I was abandoning it as well). Something to talk to the therapist about I guess…

Things happened so quickly yesterday that I was not able to give Mags (the name I gave it) a proper goodbye. So I wrote the following poem.

Ode to my RAV4

RAV4, RAV4, you will always be
A very special vehicle to me.
You hauled my boat proudly,
You were so strong and sturdy,
And I drove you with such joy and glee.

However, our time together is done.
Yet I will never forget all of the fun.
You are such a great car,
And I know you’ll go far.
And I hope your new driver is a good one.

7 comments:

Ginger said...

oh you have brought me to tears! I totally turn my cars into family members and name them, and I still miss you corolla and all the good times we had! here are names for your new car that I must say is just lovely...
Rocco, Jack, Hal, Leo, Sly, Ace

xpuhala said...

I LOVED the poem! That was awesome! I loved the old Rav4 too and have many a great memory riding in him--especially going sculling! I am sorry to see him go too. :( But, your new car is beautiful and new and will serve you well on whatever adventures you have in your future.

xpuhala said...

Here are a few names for you:
Aldon: Old Friend (Al for short)
Fidelis: Faithful, loyal
Ansel/Asher: Fortunate; blessed
Felix: Happy, lucky, fortunate
Fred: Peaceful ruler
Axel: Father fo peace
Wilfred: A wish for peace
Jeffrey: God's peace
Brayan: Noble, strong, virtuous
Everett: strong as a wild boar
Garrison: Strong
Max: the greatest
Faust: Lucky
Anders: Man, warrior
Alex: Defender
Alfried: Noble protector
Amund: Protector
Also, your last car (Mags) was a fierce warrior! :)

Ginger said...

my brain is fried....what I meant to say was that I miss your old corona and all the good times we had

Heather said...

You have to name the car "Don Speth". Better yet, "Don Speth, Esquire". I'll give you 5 bucks to name the corolla "Don".

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

What an amazing connection to have with a... car. You are too funny!!! The new car is sleek. I think you should name him Sleek Stew or something else that starts with an "S." Sylvester. Sam. Stud. If you ever need someone to talk with about the loss and abondonment issues you feel towards cars, please give Chris and I a call. We would to laugh...I mean listen!

Angie said...

I don't know if Jill gave you our blog address but here it is www.jerryangandfamily.blogspot.com by the way this is Angie Kidd. Love you Blog it is fun to keep up with everyone.